At the time of death, deciding about organ donation can be overwhelming for a loved one. For this reason, it is very important to consider organ donation ahead of time. Considering whether to donate your body or your organs is a very personal and often a difficult decision. The following information is intended to help make the decision a little easier.
Why should I register as an organ donor?
How many of us know how many people are waiting for transplants each year let alone how many transplants are performed or how many people die each year waiting for a transplant?
- Each year an average of 114,000 women, men, and children are waiting for an organ transplant.
- In 2017, 34,700 transplants were performed.
- In the United States, 20 people die each day waiting for an organ transplant.
So, you ask yourself, why the big difference between the need for transplants and how many are performed each year? Here are some reasons why:
- 95% of U.S. adults support organ donation.
- 54% actually sign up as donors.
- Only 34% of those that sign up actually donate.
- Only 3 of every 1000 organs are viable for transplant.
- Every 10 minutes, another person is added to the waiting list.
How can my organ donation make a difference?
- One person’s donation of their viable organs can save 8 lives.
- Organs that can be donated are; heart, lungs (2), liver, pancreas, kidneys (2), intestines.
- Donated eyes are the most frequently transplanted organ.
The bottom line when it comes to organ donation, unless it is against your spiritual beliefs, it should be something that everyone should consider. Making your decision to become an organ donor ahead of time is a great decision and one that may relieve a loved one from having to think about it in their time of grief.
Use Coupon Code: donate15 for $15 off your next online order of $150 or more.
Coupon Codes cannot be used with clearance, 50% off items, special promotions, special offers, and any offer where indicated. View our coupon and promotions policy here.
For more information about organ donation, visit the following websites.